Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Visit From A Friend

I was all set to blog about the new bathroom.

Then this afternoon we had a visit from Larry, our electrician, and his mother. Larry is a great guy, very easy going, in his mid-forties. He has long blond hair, half way down his back, which he always has sectioned off with rubber bands. He rides a harley. He knows I like things done my way. He's told Chester on numerous occasions, "If mama ain't happy, no body's happy."

We found out a few weeks ago that Larry has pancreatic cancer. Apparently the percentage of people who live 5 years past diagnosis is rare.

Larry had open heart surgery 3 years ago so they do not want to do invasive surgery now. He is going to Tulsa in a couple of weeks to be treated with the CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System. It s a non-invasive alternative to surgery for the treatment of both cancerous and non-cancerous tumors anywhere in the body, including the prostate, lung, brain, spine, liver, pancreas and kidney. The treatment – which delivers high doses of radiation to tumors with extreme accuracy – offers new hope to patients who have inoperable or surgically complex tumors, or who may be looking for a non-surgical option.

He came by to find out when he could get started on the rest of our electrical work because he feels his time is short. He doesn't even care if he gets paid. He just doesn't want to leave us in a bind and having to look for another electrician to finish his work.

I spent an hour or so talking with his mom, who is a very interesting lady. We talked about all kinds of things. I found out she is an accomplished artist from Bronx, NY. She teaches watercolor art classes, sews and basically does all kinds of crafting. Needless to say we hit it off right away.

By the time she left I knew all about Larry's kids and their bad eating habits, his girlfriend and her bad eating habits. His mom is a vegetarian, doesn't eat dairy... she's very health conscious. And she is on a mission to build Larry's immune system up so hopefully his body will be better able to handle the chemo.

I also learned that her husband passed away one year ago today.

We are praying that Larry's treatment goes well and he beats this thing. We welcome your prayers, too.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Vera for sharing this situation your electrician is dealing with. I will certainly be sending prayers for him and his family and his mom already dealing with sadness. So sad but hopefully he will be treated with this new procedure~
    ~Rose~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vera,, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Larry. I will be sending prayers and positive thoughts his way. It so sad. Keep us posted.
    (()) gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vera

    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Larry. My heart goes out to him and his family. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how his treatment goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely say a prayer for Larry! He sounds like a wonderful guy and a great friend! I hope his treatment will help!

    Hugs,
    Jacalyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Vera, I am so sorry to hear this about your friend. Sounds like he's headed to the right spot to get the treatment he needs. Prayers that he will be given some more quality time and his robotic surgeon is right on and will perform a miracle for him.
    Hugs,
    Pat
    Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
    www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
    www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Vera how sad! I live each day of my life comforting those with cancer and their families. Some outcomes are great and some are just too sad. I will add Larry and his family to my prayers. I am so happy you were able to meet his mom and learn more about him. He sounds like a wonderful gentleman and to think his concern at this awful time in his life is to get your electrical work done!
    I am sure it helps get his mind off of what he is going through
    Thanks for sharing
    hugs sassy gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful man Larry is - being so concerned about finishing his work for you even in the midst of facing this awful thing we call cancer. I will be in prayer for him and that this new treatment works. It surely sounds like an amazing process. I agree with the others that it is so special that you met his sweet Mother. Thanks for sharing his story and letting us join you in prayer for him.
    Mary P.
    http://MarysCottageTreasures.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vera,
    I enjoyed your story so much. I loved hearing about Larry and his mom. I hope you keep us in touch on other Show and Tells about how he is coming long. Are you going to go to any of the Moms classes ? That was so neat you had so much in common with her. It was really interesting learning about that robot thing too. He will be in my prayers for sure. Have his name on my prayer list now. When he is goes for the operation can you let us know that he went there so I can really pray on that day ? Thanks Kath'

    ReplyDelete